Thursday, April 22, 2010

Turning 24 in Korea

#72.  Koreans celebrate birthdays just like in America.  You get a birthday cake but theirs are a bit more elaborate.  Think Ace of Cakes elaborate.  The one I received from my school looked like a little house.  Complete with an intricate yard and windows. 

#73.  Koreans also celebrate their birthday on the New Year.  Every single Korean celebrates their birthday as one on this day.  Awesome.  Two days a year for birthdays.  Cake and presents twice a year?  Point Korea. 

Well today is the big day.  The big 24th birthday.  My first away from my family and friends.  The first in a foreign country.  I am a lucky girl and got presents from my family and cards from friends so it did feel pretty normal in that regard.  I love that I am loved enough to receive all the facebook wall posts, cards and even a few presents from friends and family.  It makes a day like today much more enjoyable.

Today I got a birthday cake at school and  the traditional "Happy Birthday" song but it just wasn't the same.  Hopefully the birthday dinner tonight, birthday party tomorrow and birthday trip to Daegu this weekend will make it a bit more special. 

Come on Korea.  Rock my birthday.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Jennifer. Party like a Korean Rock Star???Is there really such a thing? We love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you had an amazing birthday dinner and an even better week. I love you very much.

    Ang

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! i'm glad you got cake, that's the most important part. hope you have a wonderful birthday / birthday weekend. you'll be getting something from us in the next 3 weeks or so. i'm such a procrastinator...sorry. i had really good intentions of getting something to you by your birthday. oh well, better late than never right?? miss you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will always remember this birthday as being such a special one. Do all you can to make it that way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the picture. I don't suppose you took a picture of your cake? If you don't get your camara I am gonna send you mine. Hope you have a great weekend. Just a reminder again Look for you know what. LOL I don't wanna say the word or you will get mad at me Love you long time

    ReplyDelete