Thursday, April 1, 2010

Traditions

#46.  When new students come to an English school without an English name it is sometimes customary to let the teacher pick one for the student.  Today I had that joy.  I named my new girl Kelly.  Thought it fit.  She looked like a Kelly.  Hope she doesn't resent me later like Apple (the daughter of Gweneth Paltrow) will as soon as she realizes that her parents named her after a fruit. 

My post today is going to be short and sweet.  Today is all about traditions.  Here in Pohang we have started quite a few.

Mondays and (soon to be) Thursdays is soccer.  2 hours of soccer with a bunch of Korean men who speak very little to no English.  The little they do know is "nice" or "Okay". The little Korean we know is "hello", "thank you", "goodbye", "two".   Not really useful in planning the teams for soccer or for general conversation about whether the ball was in or out.  If we didn't have the hand signals we would be up a certain creek without a paddle.  You know the creek i'm refering to.

Tuesday is poker.  Anyone who knows me knows that I have never played a single poker game in my life before coming to Korea.  I still have yet to actually participate but i'm going to try for next week.  Could be interesting.  Maybe i'll find out that I am amazing in poker and win a million dollars.  Remember how I thought that maybe my soccer skills would be amazing and i'd make a million dollars by going pro?  Yea.  Two words.  Pipe dream.

Wednesday is "Club TILT."  TILT is a foreigner bar located downtown.  The entire foreign crew of Pohang ( about 40+) get together and hang out until the wee hours of the morning.  It has kareoke, cheap drinks and microphones.  An amazing combination.

Every other Saturday we have our Pohang Softball games.  If you have read any of my posts about softball you understand why this tradition will continue.  So much fun.

I'm busy.  I love it.  Plus it gives me interesting stuff to write on here about.  Just think how boring reading this blog would be if it was "I went to school and taught tiny Koreans their ABC's.  I went home.  I went to bed"  over and over again.  I would have exactly TWO  followers:  my mom and dad.  Everyone knows that parents think that their kids art work or stories are amazing even when no one else does.  Unconditional love baby.

Good thing i'm social and do more than work and sleep.  Lucky for you.

2 comments:

  1. Your right Jen, Dad and I would still be reading. Hope you have a wonderful day and are you guys getting together for Easter? What are you gonna be doing on Sunday? Have you gotten any of my cards? Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. JEnn, everyone knew you would have no trouble finding social outlets. That's why we all knew you will be successful with this phase of your life. Enjoy it..all of it and thanks for taking us along this journey with you. Love you Girl!

    ReplyDelete