Monday, April 26, 2010

80's, Daegu, Ropes Course

[All of these pictures are from friends in Pohang.  Big big thank you to Pearl, Darin, Jared and Kyle for taking amazing pictures!  Hopefully my camera will be fixed in a few weeks!]

So this past weekend was by far the best since arriving to the land of the tiny people.  My friends from Pohang made it a birthday weekend to remember that's for sure.  Let me give you a quick rundown.

Friday was the 80's party.  It was complete with spandex, huge hair and anything florescent we could find.  The pictures pretty much say enough.

Pohang, 80's style

The ladies in the 'Hang know how to make the 80's look good

Kyle with the Pohang Steelers mascot.  Notice the peace
sign?  In Korea when a camera comes out so does that.

Saturday was my very first professional soccer game (Pohang Steelers) and our trip to Daegu.  Unfortunately the Steelers lost 0-1.  Maybe we are bad luck? 

Saturday afternoon through Sunday night was my first overnight trip outside of Pohang.  It was phenomenal but ridiculously expensive.  Good thing I get paid in a week!  We walked around to all the different shops around town and then had dinner at the Holy Grill.  It is a western bar and grill and has amazing food.  I never thought I would miss bruschetta and a good philly cheesesteak as much as I do.  Probably in the top 3 of the best i've ever had.  Yum!  (Unfortunately pictures of the bar and our travels that night are not up on good old facebook yet so all you picture lovers will have to be patient *cough cough mom*)

Sunday was the ropes course.  Now imagine a "theme park" filled with cutesy little pop up pictures, an animal petting zoo (complete with the incredible escaping monkey), couples in identical clothing and a huge ropes course complete with zip lines...and you have my afternoon. 

This Korean girl does not like her duck shirt, or maybe having
her picture taken by 30+ foreigners.

The Promise Garden

For all of you who are not "ropes course savy" here is basically a rundown of what it is.

A ropes course is basically a huge obstacle course that you complete while suspended on cables about 100 ft in the air.  Ok it sounds dangerous but it's really not.  You get a super awesome helmet, little grey gloves and a harness to wear.  If you fall the combination of all of those will save you from death.  That was my thought process at least. In all seriousness...it was super safe and super awesome. 

You climb ropes (which I fell off of), climb ladders, scale a tightrope (which I ALMOST fell off of) and so much more.  The best part of the entire thing is when you strap yourself into a 200ft cable and zipline yourself in the air to the other side of the park.  2 words for the experience of a zip line.  FREAKING AWESOME.  Nothing but air and the trees around you.  The only bad part is that all good things must come to an end...and the end of a zipline is a huge green cushion that you basically just slam yourself into in order to come to a stop.  My bruises have bruises.


A view to show you exactly how far we had to go
via zip line.  Pretty awesome. 

Green cushion.  Hard hat.  Cable.  Completely safe.

After an amazing weekend school was the last thing I wanted to do.  Trading 80's clothing, western food and adventure for snotty kids, crying kids and trying to explain to a child why the "n" on "vacumn" is silent?  No thanks.  Thankfully the munchkins behaved themselves and my day was full of arts and crafts and random assignments that took the entire class period so the day went by ridiculously fast.  Thank you sweet baby Jesus.

Wow ok.  Long post.  Sorry for the "On Friday I did...On Saturday I did...On Sunday I did."  I hate reading posts that give the lifestory of someone.  I don't give a crap that you woke up and brushes your teeth and then played world of warcraft for 14 hours.  At least I did something with my weekend.  Hopefully you weren't too bored and it inspired you to try something adventurous this week.  Maybe find a ropes course of your own?  No?  Ok well just live vicariously through me.

The next adventure?  Paintball.  It's gonna be epic.  Be on the lookout.

2 comments:

  1. Ok Jenn my weekend was pretty boring compared to yours. I'm glad you had a great birthday. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. My weekend was GREAT! (I don't know where mom was?) I was home and got to spend the whole weekend with your mother. That's what I call a good time!

    ReplyDelete