Monday, April 5, 2010

Traffic lights and Copyright laws

[ I got to talk to Mom on Easter.  Even though we are so far away that 10 minute conversation sure helped.  Thanks Mom! ]

#52.  In Korea the traffic lights are horizontal instead of vertical.  They still have the red, yellow and green but it's horizontal.  Some also have 4 lights instead of 3 for the arrows.  No more broken lights from swinging in bad weather.  Makes sense.


#53.  The respect that younger people have for older people is amazing.  If you are on a bus and an elderly woman gets on the bus and there are no seats?  Young people give up their seat.  On a bench waiting for the bus and you see an old man?  You give up the seat.  No questions asked.  In America this is considered common courtesy but itsn't always practiced in certain parts of the country.  In Korea it's just part of daily life.  Respect your elders.  It's simple. 

#54.  Copyright laws are not enforced.  Let me give an example.  On a billboard in downtown there is Tiger Woods holding a shirt from a specific clothing store.  Now when I say "holding a shirt" I actually mean someone photoshopped (poorly) the shirt into his hands.  Not legit.  You walk down the street and can see Brad Pitt in a store for baby clothes.  Mel Gibson on the walls in a lingerie store.  In America a lawsuit would be filed in a second.  In Korea?  Meh. Guess not.  It's just the way they do things.  Rules just do not apply.

So yesterday was Easter. My first holiday away from home.  No big Easter dinner. No Easter chocolates.  No Easter family pictures.  It was weird to spend the day in Korea of all places.  I tried to find a church to go to but all of the ones closest to me are in Korean and I didn't think I could handle an hour of church in a foreign language.  Especially in a foreign language where most of the time they sound completely angry.  Hopefully i'll be able to find a good church here with at least SOME English before Christmas.  Or at least be able to understand more Korean by then.

Well it's Monday and you know what that means.  Soccer.  2 hours of running and ball handling that proves just how unimpressive I am at the game.  Let's hope I don't have a repeat of the bodily injuries of last week.  I'm not sure my poor knee can handle another cleat imprint...even though it was totally impressive and awesome.

Or at least I think it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment