Sunday, April 11, 2010

Ajummas and Chicken Noodle Soup

[So my dad has gotten some of his coworkers to read my blog on here.  It's sometimes weird (but awesome) to think that people who read my blog I have never (and probably will never meet).  I'm glad that I can bring a little laughter or insight into their lives.  Hopefully both.  Keep the comments coming.  I love 'em. ]

#60.   Old Korean women (Ajummas) wear visors. Everywhere. Think of the visors your mom wore to your athletic events when you were younger only bigger. Much bigger.

Ajummas are notorious for their visors.  While the visors do help shield the face from the sun it also results in the wearer looking as ridiculous as humanly possible. Almost Darth Vader-ish. Koreans don't like the sun because of the effect it has on their skin.  Here in Korea light skin is desired by all.  Pretty much the opposite of America.  If someone has dark skin they are thought to be poor and have a job that requires them to be outside laboring.  If someone has light skin they are thought to be wealthy. Just one of the little quirks of Koreans.


#61.  Koreans love whitening masks.  They want their skin to look as white as possible because white is considered a sign of beauty.   It is very similar to the masks Americans use to make their skin firmer or without acne.  Theirs supposedly will make their skin white. Who knows.

Well my weekend in Korea definitely could have been better.  It started off great on Friday with pizza (my first since landing) and drinks with friends downtown but ended horribly with my cold coming back with a vengence Saturday morning.  It is now Sunday afternoon and with exception of a 3 hot showers (mistakely thought the hot water would help) and a quick walk outside for cough drops I have been confined to my bed. 

Remember the medicine I had to take 3x a day to get rid of this nasty thing?  All gone.  Still have the cold.  If anything it's gotten worse.  Big thank you to the Korean pharmacy.  Your tiny pills are just not enough to kick this.

Due to my sickness I was unable to attend the cherry blossom festival in Kyongju Saturday.  Thankfully my friends took plenty of pictures.  The below pictures are from my friend  Darin Novak.  This is what  I would have seen if I would have NOT gotten the plague.



Beautiful aren't they?

Sorry for the debbie downer post.  Being sick sucks.  Being sick in a foreign country without the comforts of certain things to make you feel better sucks even more.  My paticular comforts are hot baths and mom's homemade chicken noodle soup.

 Right now I would pay an obscene amount of money for one bowl of that soup.

6 comments:

  1. Wish I could figure out a way to send the chicken noodle soup over there. Beautiful pictures and especially the visor. Nope don't think that is one visor you probaly will see me wearing. Love you honey..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel better soon Jenn. You are getting a phone? Is that what I read on facebook. I'll prolly jip if I'll be able to call you. Let me know.

    Ang

    ReplyDelete
  3. that visor is just wrong! those pictures look beautiful, sorry you had to miss it. hope you're feeling better soon. at least you got pizza finally, that's a bonus. (unless it was topped with dog) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang on! Help is on the way. I went to Wally World and bought out their cold and flu medicine supply and Mom is putting it in a box for you. It's bad enough being sick at home but it really sucks when you are out of town/country. The Tylenol stuff works the best for me. Give it a shot. Get well soon. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So how is pizza in Korea? Hope you're feeling better. Pictres are beautiful....well not the visor. I guess if you wear the visor it doesn't matter if the skin whitening mask doesn't work right?

    ReplyDelete