Sunday, April 18, 2010

Rice and Liquor Festival

[Pictures taken by Chris Kuisle and Jared Gramza]

[Thanks to everyone for all the sweet comments about making sure i'm doing ok with the Korean sickness ridiculousness.  I am finally over the worst of it and now just have an annoying cold.  Hopefully the magic Korean medicine combined with the medicine on its way to me from my Dad should be able to make me kick this cold for good.]

Ok. Back to the Korean oddities.

#63. Koreans love their television to be accesible. You see tvs in a taxi, bus, market, bar...anyplace that frequents people. Some taxi drivers prefer to catch up on their soaps while taking their fares to Homeplus while others feel like Korean music videos are the way to go. You just never know what you're going to get.

#64.  Taxis are very inexpensive.  A cab from my apartment to the foreigner hangout bar costs less than $3.  In America it would cost at least double, if not triple. 

#65.  Other forms of transportation are inexpensive as well.  A 25 mile bus ride  from Pohang to Gyeongju costs less than $3.  Point Korea.

I know it's been awhile since i've written on here but honestly with being so sick I didn't do a whole lot until the weekend.  Hopefully this week will be markedly better than last week. It includes my second soccer game of the season, trying live octopus and my first birthday in a foreign country. It should prove to a week I won't soon forget. I hope.

Ok quick recap of the highlights of my weekend.  My first jaunt out of the confines of my bed was to Gyeongju on Saturday for the big blossom festival/soju rice festival.  You combine 10,000+ Koreans, 500+ foreigners, carvinal food of every variety and free alcohol samples...it makes for quite the interesting day.  Everyone seems to like the pictures I post on here so here a few.  More will come later.

Amazing Korean man doing the tightrope

More beautiful blossoms

FREE samples of Soju.  In total, close to 30 different kinds. 

The festival was amazing and I cannot wait until the next one.  Koreans love their liquor, food and entertainment.  What else can a girl ask for?

6 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you are feeling better. Love the pictures. Hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are feeling better. The pictures are awesome. Do you take them yourself? What are Korean birthday traditions?

    Thought of you today. Miss you bunches.

    Angela B

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey jenn its fran i miss u have u ate any dog yet how is your class? are there any restraunts? have u met any friends? sorry i didnt write 2 u. have u bought anything cool like clothes. well i started soccer im goalie. well i gotta to go. miss u bye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so i think you should find a way to smuggle some soju to the states. Or... I could just bring it back with me when I visit! I found a flight for 948... what do u think?

    Ang

    ReplyDelete
  5. You stole my picture of the ajuma and the cherry blossoms! HAHAHAH! Glad it was good enough. I am so proud. I bet I could sell it for money somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jared my love your skills are ridiculous. I give everyone props for their awesomeness in picture taking abilities in at least one post on here. Hope you don't care! I get my camera back in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete