Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Love Motels and Soccer

#74.  The cheap motels in Korea are called "love motels."  The name pretty much says it all.  No description necessary. 

#75.  Most Koreans have two refrigerators.  One for regular food and one for kimchi.  As i've said in previous posts, kimchi is basically spoiling cabbage with a ton of spices.  Smelly shit.  After two months I still hate kimchi so the likelihood of me needing that spare refrigerator is nonexistant.

#76.  At sporting events the concession stands serve traditional korean food.  One food served in the stands was kimbop.  Think fancy california roll.  Instead of hearing "get your peanuts!  get your peanuts!" it was "get your kimbop! get your kimbop" (i'm assuming that was the translation from the yelling and hand signals)  It's unbelievably weird to watch people cheering on a team while holding chopsticks. I miss the popcorn, hotdogs and beer.

#77.  Also at sporting events Korean flags are distributed to wave during the game.  Hundreds of Korean flags waving wildly during a goal.  Point Korea for their patriotism.

This week has gone by ridiculously fast.  It's Thursday already.  I've played two days of soccer and I feel like my legs will fall off.  Can legs actually fall off?  If they can mine are on their way.  2 hours each day of running after Korean men who ball handle like it's their damn JOB.  It'll take the energy right outta 'ya. 

I did however get a Korean soccer teacher.  This little old man decided that I sucked at soccer and I was going to be his student.  Rock it.  I'll take whatever help I can get.  Obviously our conversation included more hand signals and alot of motioning but I ended up improving my game in a big way.  I can now dribble (not very well), pass (but not with accuracy) and block goals (as long as they aren't hit too hard).  Ok well maybe to you it's not an improvement but you should have seen where I started.  Imagine a small child who is JUST learning how to play soccer and is afraid the ball with hurt him.  Yup.  That was me.  Not anymore. Bring it on ball.  I've got your number.

One of the perks of having a Korean soccer teacher is that they give you soccer cleats.  Ok well maybe not ALL soccer teachers give cleats away but mine did.  It helps that i'm the only girl on the team.  It was a probably a pity gift.  I have zero problem with that.  Pity me.

If it helps my soccer game i'm all about it.

1 comment:

  1. You have come a loooong way since Bettendorf, IA when you and Paul used to sit at the goal and pick clover leaves during a game. If they ever televise one of your games, send me a tape. This I gotta see.

    ReplyDelete