Saturday, March 13, 2010

Soccer Goalie...Me?!

#18: Korean schools are nothing like American schools. Specifically private schools. At times private schools run more like a business than a school. If ONE student isn't having fun and threatens to quit...the entire cirriculum is changed so that that ONE student has a good time and stays. Entire lessons are changed around ONE student. That shit would never fly in the States. You don't want to learn your ABCs today? Go home. Not here. You dont want to learn your ABCs today? Let's have a party and play games instead.

#19: Koreans are attracted to other Koreans for very different reasons than Americans. In America people are thought to be attractive because of the overall appearance, personality, etc. In Korea it is the small things they look for...like the shape of their eyes. A Korean friend of mine told me that he likes girls with big eyes. More specifically he likes Koreans girls with big eyes. Not so easy to find in Korea.

Good news! Mom found my charger to my camera and is sending it to me in a package this week along with everything else I forgot. HOPEFULLY I will have it by St.Pattys day but definately by next weekend. Ironically enough there are all kinds of foreigner sports leagues here. As many of you know I have played softball since I was in elementary school so that was a no brainer on signing up for that league. The league that I have been peer pressured into that is NOT my forte is soccer. Soccer requires skills like coordination and agility...skills I do NOT possess. My friends are convinced that I would be a "kick ass" goalie. They don't really have any specifics on WHY I would be a good goalie but who knows. Maybe I will shock and stun everyone with my raw talent of being able to block all of the shots and make a professional career out of it. Ha. Don't bet on it. My goal for the season is to block as many shots as I can without getting seriously injured and ending up in the hospital. Stay tuned.

It is FINALLY the weekend. No tiny Koreans for 2 whole days. Plans include my first trip to the big open market downtown, first softball game for the league, Alice in Wonderland (yes i'm watching it again) and who knows what else. It should be a weekend full of fun. Fingers crossed!

Oh and thank you all for the amazing comments. It has helped so much by letting me know that what I write actually is being read by my family and friends at home. It helps me feel more connected somehow. Love you guys :)

5 comments:

  1. I think I'd pay to watch you play soccer. They prolly want you to be goalie cuz Americans are like giants over there and could block so much more...just a thought.

    Hope all is going well. I miss you. I think I'm going to get a passport in the next couple weeks. ;)

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a great weekend. Dad came home Friday night and had to leave Sat morning. Kroger remodel is almost over. YAHOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like ahh, are all of your little Korean kids like talking like you? Just kidding! Miss You, Love You.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think you'll be a kick-ass goalie! by the way...before i forget to tell you. i also caught a pot on fire one time trying to make mac'n cheese. there were actual flames and everything. don't worry, you'll get better. i haven't killed adam or the kids with my cooking yet. we miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angela: You should get a passport and come visit this summer! The flight to get here is expensive but the rest is SO cheap. PLUS you would have a free place to live. Think it over :)

    Mom: I am so glad that the remodel is almost over! I know how much you miss Dad when he is gone.

    Dad: I have toned down my "like" a ton! My kids are learning perfect English...ok maybe not PERFECT but pretty darn good :)

    Shannon: I am still learning the whole cooking thing. I have graduated to different kinds of rice...but haven't gotten so far as fried anything yet. Progress :)

    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete