Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Ahn Nyeong Ha Se Yo

#25. The people that work at the Korean Post Office speak English. Well..they speak enough English for me to send a package to America anyways. I've been told that when all else fails, find a post office and they will be able to understand me. It is a requirement to speak at least SOME English. Bonus.

#26. Koreans use the same saying for hello and goodbye. Think like Hawaii. To say hello or goodybe I say "ahn nyeong ha se yo." It is pronounced "ahn-yan-ha-say-yo." Stick with me and you'll maybe be able to understand 1/20 of a conversation before I leave Korea. That's thinking optimistically.

So I decorate my apartment with the arts and crafts projects I make in class. I know i'm classy but it's so hard to find decorations for the walls so my kids art is good enough. Right now I have a lamb hand and a piece of paper with paint shapes. Not exactly Picasso but it does the job. My apartment is just so unbelievably boring that I have to do what I can to spice it up. Any cheap suggestions from anyone out there?

Now I can add another thing to my abilities here in Korea. I can now get to the post office. Bad news is that it takes freaking 2 weeks to get my shit to the states. If I want to pay about $5 per letter for express it will get there in less than one. Regular mail is about $.75 per letter. I'm a broke English teacher in Korea. Today I sent about 20 letters and 2 packages. Doesn't take a genius to figure out which one I picked. 2 weeks it is everyone.

So i've realized that on every single Tuesday and Thursday I will lose my voice. My last class of the day is a 6 Kinder class. What that basically means is in America they are 5 years old learning what a 7 year old should be learning. Think 1st/2nd grade. And not only are they 5 years old but I have 8 boys and 2 girls. Understandably I spend my afternoons trying to keep their attention and usually spend the majority of it yelling for them to stop picking their noses, quit coloring the table or leave Kevin or Princess alone. Ironically I have 3 Kevins and 2 Princesses in the same class. Yay for Korean origionality when picking out names. They are sweet kids but have absolutely zero attention span. At the end of the day I can barely talk. The only good thing about this is that it gets me out of doing SOME prep for the next day. I think i'd rather take the prep.

Highlight of my day? One of my Princesses told me my first "i love you." Another first I am not looking to is my first "fuck you." I've been told it will happen at one point or another. Oh goody. Something to look forward to. Oh to teach English in Korea.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like little Darlins. No thats not right my lil Darlins would never do that stuff. You have a great day or I guess great night. Love you long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. will that f-you likely be from a student or an adult? sounds interesting over there. i'll try to think of some cheap decorating ideas for you. i watch HGTV all the time. i'll see what i can come up with. i could always send you some blown up pictures of me if you get really desperate:)

    ReplyDelete