Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Becoming Domesticated

So I have a little favor from anyone that reads this thing. If you find something amusing that i've written give me a lil' comment. I'm a little cut off from the people from home and a comment every once in awhile would sure brighten up my day. Just a wee suggestion.

Ok..back to those Koreans we've all grown to love.

#14: Koreans hate snow. Today in Pohang we got about 2 inches of snow. In the Midwest 2 inches isn't enough to stop a football game or cause delays in travel of any kind. In Pohang its enough to cancel school, cause delays in all forms of transportation and be basically a pain in the ass. The city does not have any kind of snow removal vehicles so what do they use? Construction bulldozers. Yup. Bulldozers. The things that tear down buildings also have the dual purpose of acting like a snow plow. Koreans are ingenious.

#15: Koreans will wear the same outit multiple days in a row. In Korea there are washing machines..but not dryers. The lack of dryers forces people to reuse clothing more than once because to wash and dry it takes time. Lots of it. In America a kid wouldn't be caught dead wearing the same outfit to school multiple days in a row. In Korea it's kind of unusual to NOT see a kid wear the same outfit over and over again.

Today was a big day for me. I went on my first solo outing to Home Plus and didn't get lost. This coming from the girl who gets lost in Indianapolis (her home of 15+ years) and who ends up in Michigan when trying to get home from South Bend (and yes that actually happened). It took me the better part of an evening to get to the store, do my shopping and then find the bus to get back home...but I did it. All by myself. And I bought Sushi for dinner and made rice.

I'm becoming all domesticated and shit and I love it.

5 comments:

  1. I'm not gonna lie... I'm surprised you can make rice.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry for the lack of comments, i've been a total slacker :( but i read your blog everyday and i absolutely love it! i just talked to your mom yesterday about how funny you are. glad to hear everything seems to be going well so far. would love to see pics sometime. we miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacey SnellenbargerMarch 11, 2010 at 11:11 PM

    Awww, domestication! Those Koreans and their rice. Ross made the comment "What!? She started her apartment on fire!? Does that mean she gets to come home?" He must miss you as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Stacey...tell Ross I didn't set my apartment in KOREA on fire...just the one in the states. lol

    Shannon: I'm so glad you like the blog. Look for a little package in the mail coming your way soon. Miss you guys!

    Angela: shut it. I'm gettin better at the cooking thing. Sort of. Kind of. Ok not really but it's a process :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mom suggested we read your blogs...you are very clever and funny!! It sounds like every day is an adventure...enjoy :)
    Sandy Morgan

    ReplyDelete