Thursday, March 11, 2010

Korean Shoes and Homesickness

#16: Koreans take their shoes off everywhere. Before I came to Korea I bought new shoes for my classrooms just like I would if I was teaching in America. Did you figure out the mistake I made? I shopped like I would have shopped if I was still living in AMERICA. Basically I was a dumbass by spending good money on shoes I will never wear. They are cute shoes and go with everything BUT in Korea you take off your shoes at the door and put on slippers. Yup. I wear slippers everyday. My current slippers are boring blue and red slippers. Nothing special. The supervisor (aka principal) wears slippers that look like they belong on the bottom of footsie pajamas. They are made to look like a dog. Complete with the dog head/paws AND tongue. Think of the slippers you wore when you were 4 or 5. I'm jealous mine don't quite match up to his. Looks like I know my next Korean purchase: bad ass slippers.

#17: Continuing on the rant of things I bought before I came to Korea that I don't need...business casual clothes for classroom teaching. All of the teachers (Korean and American alike) wear jeans and tshirts. Some wear sweats/yoga pants and a sweatshirt. It is completely acceptable. Right now i'm still in the mode of trying to impress so i'm not quite so casual yet but apparantly it's what you do. Casual is in. Rock on. I'm game.

Today was a stressful day. I realized that I left my charger to my camera in the States. Good job Jenn. Leave the charger to the thing that takes the pictures somewhere you can't use it. Great idea. Soo I spent my breaks in between classes trying to see how much one would cost to ship to me and how long it would take. Lets just say...I could buy a new camera for cheaper. Way cheaper. Right now I am in a pickle of sorts on what to do. Suggestions would be welcome!

I talked to Mom and while it made me feel better about my shitty day...it made my homesickness come back in full force. I got off the phone and promptly cried like a small freaking child. Think small child that just fell off the swingset and scraped her knee. That kind.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow being a better day. Fridays are supposed to be the best day of the week right? I sure as hell hope so.

4 comments:

  1. Stacey SnellenbargerMarch 12, 2010 at 5:56 AM

    Friday will be more better! No worries Jenn. You are a strong girl and you can do it. If anyone can live in a foreign country and rock it out, its you. Keep your head up and all will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH JENN Those Koreans don't have anything on me. LOL As I said before you add alittle bit of excitement to my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey!!!!!!! How is it they say hello over there? Ni Hao is what I learned in China but I have no idea what it is in Korea. I'm willing to bring over your charger for you. All you have to do is pay my airfare! Bargain! I'll fly cargo! Since I'm not working right now I have the time. Just let me know when you'd like me to come. I hope that even though you miss home you enjoy the moments you are in. Speaking from experience living in a new culture is very intimidating and challenging. Take time to relax and enjoy the moment. Find some new friends and get close to them, pray hard b/c the BIG guy is with you and he is their God too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rock on bad-ass comfy work clothes! And I have an idea for your slippers and homesickness: Buy some bad-ass chili pepper slippers! I swear to baby Jesus, if I find some they are coming you way. <3

    Dustin

    ReplyDelete