Tuesday, March 29, 2011

COSTCO

The South Korean equivalent to "Disney World" is Everland.  With tons of rides, characters in plush costumes and the usual awe and wonderment that accompanies a quality amusement park, it is the stuff dreams are made of.  Or so my students tell me.

While it is one of my goals of living in Korea to venture to Everland and see what all the fuss is about, this particular goal was not accomplished last weekend.  Over the weekend I found my own Everland. My own place that is accompanies with awe and wonder.  What can top a "Disney World-esque" park?  One word.  In capital letters.  COSTCO.  

After  nearly 14 months of living in Korea, I was finally taken to the holy mecca of COSTCO by a few of my fabulous girlfriends.  With products I have only dreamed about, I was quite literally a kid in a gigantic candy store.  Walking in I was reminded of growing up in the 'burbs of Indianapolis and going to Sams Club with my mother to stock up for the week.  With everything in bulk, it always seemed like quite the steal.  300oz of mustard for $3.20?  Well, I probably won't be able to use it all but it's so cheap that I feel obligated to take advantage of this amazing deal.  This was my general mentality during our 2+hour excursion into the happy land of COSTCO.  If any of the girls were pondering whether or not they really needed that oversized item, all they would have to do is look at me, see my exuberant childlike nod and toss it into the cart.  

I was able to control myself at COSTCO, though it took some effort, and spend far less than I thought.  Included in my haul was Febreeze, cleaning wipes to try and battle the upcoming beach months, flaxseed for smoothies, multivitamins and a huge towel (naturally in red) for the beachside days coming soon.  My next COSTCO trip is in the works and I now have a more realistic view of what I can find.  Hopefully by then my extreme ADD will be in control and I can be allowed free reign of the store instead of being that tiny child that has to be in sight of his mother at all times for fear of what he will throw into the cart.


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad costco was such a hit. Didn't think you even liked mustard.LOL I wish you would get the computer fixed really need to see you to make sure you are ok. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha it was a hypothetical Momma. I'm not the biggest fan of mustard but if I found 300oz for around 3 bucks? I'd do it in a second! You raised me to look out for bargains :)

    ReplyDelete