Sunday, March 6, 2011

Lessons Learned

[I know that this post is uncharacteristically vague but it is something that has been in my thoughts recently.  When thoughts are repeatedly in the forefront of my mind, it is usually my brain's way of telling me to write it down.  Figure it out.  Solve it.  Most of the time I shut down and don't listen to my better judgement when it comes to getting things off my chest.  Today I did and here's what I wrote.]

Sometimes it takes something small to make you realize that you were wrong.  Wrong in how you treated someone.  Wrong in how you presented yourself.  A simple comment.  A passing glance.  Life is about making mistakes and learning from them.  I continue to learn from mine every single day.

I realize that during the past few months I have been wrong in how I have treated certain people in my town.  A certain person in particular.  Not that I have been mean but I have been impassibly indifferent.  Somehow I allowed the fact that I have been here for as long as I have to overcrowd my ability to see beyond the face value of a friend.  To not overlook them if they had a flaw that didn't match up to my expectations.  Somehow today, I woke up and realized what a bitch i've been.  How selfish, self absorbed, closed off and just generally unwelcoming i've been.  What a sobering realization that was.

Even though I know you can't turn back time (even though Cher seems to think you can) I wish in this instance that I could.  Even though the person in question has no idea that i've had this realization, to you I am sorry.  If given the chance, I will try and do my best at being a friend to you instead of someone who is as indifferent as I have been.

What lesson did I learn today?  Life is too short to feel anything but happiness.  Anything but feeling the sense of friendship and adventure that is so easily accessible here.   Consider that lesson learned.

1 comment:

  1. Jenn I don't think you could be mean to someone even if you tried. I might be wrong but I don't think so. I'm also glad that we raised a child that has a conscience(You know what I mean). I love you very much and hope you are having better thoughts about yourself now that you got that off your chest.. Love you

    ReplyDelete