Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lenten Resolutions

Lent has arrived in Korea and even though I have been less than devout in being a practicing Catholic, i'm going to give Lent a shot for the first time in more years than I care to remember.

This year I am giving up a few things and making a commitment to a few others.  I figure writing it down on here will keep me accountable.  What am I giving up and/or committing to this year you may ask?  Well here we go.

1.  Gossip  less.  I am not huge on gossip to begin with but taking it out of the equation entirely will help me really focus on the important things and people in my life.
2.  Work out 5x per week. The ladies of Pohang have started a daily 6am workout regime.  It will absolutely suck but for 40 days I can hack it.  I hope I can anyways.
3.  No fried foods.  While this won't be the hardest thing I am giving up it will definitely test my willpower.  I don't exactly crave this kind of food but when I have a few beers in me, french fries become almost irresistible.  Let's see how much willpower I actually have.
4.  Try something new at least once a week.  Whether it be a different food.  Meeting a new person.  Trying out a new store.  Going to a new city.  I want to see the beauty of Korea and I have done a less than stellar job of doing that over the past year.
5.  Be as frugal as possible without it affecting my daily life.  I make a pretty decent living while teaching here in Korea but I don't have all that much to show for it.  Sure I don't have anymore credit card debt and i'm making a dent in my student loans...but that's about it.  This is the 40 days for me to really see where my money is going. Do I really need that $11 package of tortillas?  That 4th drink at the bar when we all know that the 3rd one was more than enough?  That $8 taxi when a $1 bus will suffice?  It's all about cutting corners and figuring out what I really NEED not WANT.

Well, those are it.  My long-time-coming Lenten resolutions.  Say a little prayer for me if you think about it.  I've got a feeling i'm going to need it.

1 comment:

  1. Did you get your ashes, we went to Cathedral in Korea, totally overwhelming. P and I got our ashes this morning, he told me "owie". I'm done with shopping and candy until easter!

    ReplyDelete