Sunday, August 15, 2010

White Trash and Summer Camp

[Still no decision made on whether or not to remain in Korea for an additional length of time.  I am attempting to listen to my heart and trust whatever it tells me to do.  We'll see how that goes.]

#126.  In Korea never assume that the American films at the local movie theater are in English.  Don't be duped by the English name or the listing for the movie that is English.  Always double check by asking the movie-cashier-lady of sorts if it is truly in English.  I have been very lucky in here until this afternoon when a group of us went to see Toy Story 3.  Imagine our surprise when Woody begins to speak in Korean.  Now we know.  Always double-triple check.

#127. Koreans cannot have dual citizenship.  Here they can only be Korean.  They are allowed to have a permanent residence in another country but not another citizenship.  Just one of the many differences between Korea and the United States.

This weekend was definitely one for the Korean scrapbook.  Included was a goodbye themed party for one of Pohang's favorite ladies, Miss  Megan Bruce.  Imagine an entire town of foreigners dressed to the nines in the finest white trash apparel available.  Complete with intense eye shadow, trucker hats, hideous tattoos, rollers in the hair and every other white trash faux pas imaginable.

Also included in my weekend was my first summer camp with my school.  We went to our sleepover camp place that is about 40 minutes from our school and had a great time.  Games took up the first few hours, dinner in the middle and more games and a speech contest rounded out our night.  It was interesting to see the kids away from the educational confines of Kids College.  They were so excited to spend the evening with myself and my coteacher Heather that it was hilarious.  Every time one of my kids got someone out in dodgeball they would yell "Jenn Teacher!" just so I would look.  After getting a big thumbs up from me the inevitable smile would fill their face and my heart would melt all over again.

Even though we were hot and sweaty and had to give up our coveted Friday evening, sometimes it takes a night like that to remind me why I do what I do.

Oh and as always, comments are welcome, encouraged and appreciated.

White trashing it up with my best friend in Pohang

Getting the velcro rollers out of Megan's hair.  We learned
that night to never EVER put rollers in naturally curly hair.

The woman of the hour with a few of her TILT favorites, John and Andy

Jesus Drives a Ford

Some of my kiddos cheesing it up for the camera
in between dodgeball games

To of my favorite girls:  Elly and Sophia

The entire group


My group for the night.
We named ourselves The Tigers.

I taught my kids the "Down by the Banks" game.
Anyone who was in the girl scouts knows exactly the game I am referring to. 

1 comment:

  1. Down By The Banks! One of my favorites!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete