Friday, August 13, 2010

Jenn Teacher

#124.  In Korea they will hospitalize you for anything and everything.  Common cold?  Hospitalization.  Slight fever.  Shots in the butt and hospitalization.  A fractured ankle?  A 2 week stay, multiple shots in the butt and talks of surgery.  No. Thank. You.

#125.  Korean T-Shirts.  Unfortunately for my readers I do not have photos to do this phenomenon the justice it deserves.  Just imagine if you see all of the words on a tshirt completely jumbled around and making absolutely zero sense but making sense in a way that you knew the original intention. Instead of "The grass is always greener on the other side" the Korean version would say something like "Greener grass on the other side is Greener."  You get the idea.  Clearly I will just have to find an amazing Koreanesque shirt for you to witness.

[The following is completely unrelated with previous posts.  Just something that has been on my mind.  That's what a blog is for afterall.]

I graduated from Ball State with a degree in Public Relations.  It is a good degree from one of the best Journalism schools in the country.  I should feel lucky and privileged.  Instead I feel silly for not following my initial major to graduation:  elementary education.  And no the irony is not lost on me that the field I turned my back on is now the field I am most in love with.  Regardless of how silly I feel for having a degree that I don't use or care to use, it taught me about myself.  Without my change in that path I would not have all of the people in my life that I do now or have the same experiences.  I have never been one to say "everything happens for a reason" but in this case I believe it to be true

Everything in my life has brought me to Korea.  I have been wrestling with the idea of staying in Pohang for another year or at the very least extending my current contract an additional six months.  I am at the halfway point in my contract and in the not so distant future I will have to start making decisions on whether or not Korea could potentially be my home for the next year or if America is where its at.  Sure I miss my family.  My friends.  America.  I miss them all more than I can put into words but at least for the near future I think Korea is where I am supposed to be.  Being here has reminded me of my original dream to become a teacher.

I know that I eventually do want to get my teaching license, get my own classroom and start a new life back in the states.  It is the "eventually" part that has got me wondering what my true reasons for extending my stay in Korea could be. I am having trouble figuring out if I am extending my stay to prolong the inevitable of going back to school or if staying here in Korea is something I am meant to do for the foreseeable future.

I turned away from the idea of becoming a teacher in college.  Incredibly, now I am one.  Now I know how to be one when I eventually find my way back to America.  Whenever that may be.

10 of the cutest reasons I have been inspired to get back to teaching
when I return to America

1 comment:

  1. Jenn Teacher another one of those you should of listened to your mother. I remember when you had you first teaching experience at Ball State, you called and said you were not gonna be a teacher because you wanted to hang the kids up in the corner they were so bad. I told you not all kids were like that. You could imagine that you would have kids like that and said you were not gonna be a teacher. Quote unQuote if I feel I might do bodily harm to them than I don't think that is a wise career choice. I'm glad now you have decided to go into teaching. Love you long time.

    ReplyDelete