Monday, August 9, 2010

Manpris, Transformers and Rogaine

[Last week I played "Can you guess what I am thinking with 8 year olds.  The clues were "It is very big.  It is in many countries.  It goes on a track.  People ride in it to different places."  The first guess was TV.  The next was a baby brother.  They've got a long way to go...]


#120. In Korea Manpris are everywhere.  For those of you who are not aware of what manpris are they are capris (not quite shorts but not quite pants) worn on men.  In America men would never wear capris. In Korea the men just can't get enough. 


#121. It is common for many people to wear glasses for the fashion aspect.  While there are many Koreans who wear glasses because they are prescription, it is commonplace to see glasses with clear lenses specifically because it is considered fashionable. 


#122.  This isn't really a Korean-ism but it is Korea-based so it belongs here.  I lose more hair in Korea than most people have on their heads.  Before coming here I had thick hair that I often got thinned out at the salon.  Now I feel like a balding, middle-aged woman who needs a strong dose of Rogaine.  


#123.  On Korean television, one movie is chosen and shown over and over again for months.  Sometimes years.  This year is Transformers.  On any given day it is usually a good bet that CGV (one of the English stations) will have it on at some point during the day.  More often than not twice a day.

It's weird to not be the new person in Pohang anymore.  The student has become the teacher when it comes to helping people navigate around downtown, figure out the bus system, etc.  I love that I am becoming someone that people can call on to help them around town.  I can help people figure out what food is tasty, what beaches are best, what bars are best, etc. 


Who have ever thought that I would be that person?  Surely not me.

1 comment:

  1. Me either. Sorry we didn't get to talk to you today. We were in church when you called. Do you get your computer back this week? Maybe we could skype. Love you

    ReplyDelete