Monday, January 3, 2011

Adventures in Bangkok, Thailand

Hello everyone and welcome to 2011!

I have safely returned from the beautiful beaches of Thailand to find the streets of my city of Pohang filled with snow.  The snow (to us midwesterners) wouldn't be enough to close down schools or most transportation, but Korea is a completely different place.  Pohang never gets snow so it was completely unprepared for what appeared to be about 7 inches of snow throughout the day.  Imagine a place like Tennessee with 7 inches of snow.  Shut the state down.  In this case, those 7 or so inches allowed me an additional two entire days away from Kids College and a winter wonderland I have been dreaming of since arriving in Korea.  My first day back from the beach were spent making snowmen, regailing friends with stories of our epic adventures and falling back into the comforts of the routine that is my Korean life.

Now how was Thailand you may ask?  Where to begin.  I spent an entire week in paradise.  We rode elephants.  Played with tigers. Rode in open taxis which are called "tuk-tuks." Ate amazing Thai food.  Did more shopping than most people do in a year.  Slept for two nights in a hammock where I realized the intense appeal and the despereate need to find one as soon as I return stateside.  Went swimming multiple times in the clearest ocean water I have ever seen.  Ate freshly caught mackerel at a beachside cafe that would give a 5 star restaurant a run for its money.  Lounged around with my friends.  Got a new tattoo.  Rode on the back of a scooter around the beautiful beach and mountain scenery.  The list goes on and on.  I feel like the pictures from my trip will tell my story better than I ever could on here.

For my friends and family back at home.  I hope you had an amazing Christmas and that you rang in the New Year in a fantastic way.  Even though I was in paradise, you were still on my mind and constantly in my thoughts.  For the new year, I wish you all one that is filled with happiness, prosperity and love.  Living in Korea has changed my perspective on so many things and those three are ones that I have grown to truly believe in.  I hope you all spent time with those that mean the most to you and that you made the most of it.  Being away from family and friends during the holiday seasons truly make you realize what's important in life.

I made the most of my Thailand vacation with some of the most amazing people I have ever or will ever have the good fortune to meet.  Here are a few of my favorite pictures of our trip to give you a small look into the week long vacation that was my 2010 Christmas and New Years.

Until next time.

The lights of Bangkok.  The month of December is also a big
celebration for the King, not Christmas.  

Our first harrowing Tuk-Tuk ride. 

Tim with the coolest iguana 

The view of the Bridge Over the River Kwai

An old car that I just knew my father would love
And another

When in Thailand...

Group shot with the crazy iguana

The Bridge over the River Kwaii

Group shot on the bridge

The inside of our train to the tiger temple

Beautiful

With two sleepy tigers.  I know I don't look scared but terrified
doesn't begin to describe it.

Our group, a baby tiger and a monk

Casual elephant riding
Virginia and I took the afternoon for girly things like pedicures

And the best massage in existence

This is pad thai.  If you haven't tried it, stop reading and go to the nearest
local Thai place and try it out.  If you are disappointed in it then I am disappointed in you. 

1 comment:

  1. I am so jelous right now...that is my dream vacation and it looks every bit of what I imagine!!! I want the beach, the food and those lovely tigers!!! I am going to start saving NOW!!!! I hope you had a blast. i know it cannot make up for being away from family , but a close second I hope!

    ReplyDelete