Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas Eve

Merry Christmas Eve.

It's officially Christmas Eve here in Pohang, South Korea.  It's that time of year for caroling, Christmas cookies and my Mom's famous heart attack casserole.  Unfortunately for yours truly, this year will be a little different.  Christmas Eve for me will consist of playing with the  cutest kids in creation, eating Korean food and riding a bus to the airport for a beach vacation with some of my closest friends.  Not exactly a down home Christmas, but one that will definitely be remembered.

It doesn't exactly feel like Christmas.  Without the snow and the familiarness of home it just isn't the same.  Maybe that is the reason why I am not feeling more homesick than I am.  Of course reading the Facebook statuses about a winter wonderland Christmas or singing Christmas carols in a language I actually understand make me homesick, but somehow it doesn't seem real all the way over here.  When I don't see all of the reminders of what I am missing I almost forget about it all.  Of course I remember and miss my family and friends, but the fun of what I miss is somehow replaced by the fun and memories I am making.

This time tomorrow I will be on a bus and headed for the airport.  My duffel bag is packed full with tank tops, flip flops and sundresses.  The weather is forecasted for 92 degrees on Christmas day in Bangkok, Thailand.  A far cry from the blankets of white snow that has been covering the the majority of the midwest during the past few weeks.

From December 25th-Janurary 2nd I will be in a country where there are a million things I want to do.  In Thailand I want to ride an elephant, go to the tiger temple, lay out on the beach and so many more.  I have a vague list of things I want to do but if they don't get crossed off it's ok.  I'm honestly just excited to get away from Pohang.  Get away from Kids College.  Get away from my itty bitties.  An entire week of sun, relaxation and fun with some of the best people I know.  I consider myself blessed.

To whoever is reading this, I hope you have a merry Christmas and a happy and fulfilled New Year.  Thank you for coming with me on this journey through the ups and downs in Korea.

See you in 2011.

2 comments:

  1. Yep, definately going to feel a little empty without my Jennifer here. There is a little bit of not seeming to be Christmas without you running around singing songs, wrapping your suff at the last minute and driving us all crazy with all the little things you drive us crazy with. Hope you have a great time in Thialand and don't forget the suntan lotion. Merry Christmas Jennifer and Have a great New Year.

    I Love you Jen!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn - I love this post! I just got done skyping with my fam for the first time since I've been here - and it finally hit me too that it's Christmas! :) Love you so much, hope you've kicked that sickness, and I can't wait to hear about your adventures in Thailand - you guys are going to have such an amazing time! :) Merry Merry Christmas to you! Enjoy and see you soon!

    ReplyDelete