Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Harley Davidson and Adoptive Korean Moms

Where to start.  I had quite the weekend that ranged from a movie night with friends to a solo adventure around and about Korea.  Here is a quick recap for those loyal readers out there.

Friday night was movie night.  A bunch of us decided that due to the fact that there were no other decent films out (and we all not so secretly wanted to see it) we would see the new Narnia movie.  It ended up being quite the kiddie film but the amazing features coupled with stellar graphics made it quite the Narnian experience.  Here is my review.  If you have the option to see it in 3D don't miss the opportunity.  The graphics and flying dragon alone will be well worth the hefty ticket price.  If it is just playing in the regular theaters wait for it on DVD.  It's a well crafted film but loses some appeal for the older audiences.

Saturday was spent in Daegu where a simple "Girls Day" turned into a seven hour solo adventure of finding  the elusive Harley Davidson store.  Why would I go on an adventure to find this particular shop?  Anyone who knows me knows that I am not exactly the typical leather chaps, Harley Davidson wearing, biker babe.  However,  I am the daughter of a wanna be biker dude who settles for t-shirts from foreign countries.  His only request is that his tshirts have the name of the country they were purchased in.  Sounds simple enough right?  WRONG!  The only shops in Korea are in Seoul (a solid 5 hours away) and the one near Daegu (almost 2 hours).  Clearly this would mean that ordering it online would be the most logical option.  Apparently logic hasn't hit the Korean website yet because while they do have plenty of American tshirts there was not a single one to be found with the "Harley Davidson Korea" sentence he has been jonesing for.  Now after realizing that the little shop was not in our location it was decided that it was time for me to break apart from the group and go on my first solo outing in Korea.

My girls of the day

The ever elusive Daegu Harley Davidson store

Now anyone who knows me,or knows of me, knows that I am one hell of a navigation fuck up.  I end up in different states.  I get lost in my own hometown.  Directions just aren't my forte.  To keep this story as short as possible, just know that the ONE hour bus ride to get to the magical shop of Harley Davidson turned into a SEVEN hour long ordeal.  I went the wrong way on the subway (first time riding it alone), got on the wrong bus (also the first time riding a bus alone), found out it was too late for a bus back to civilization after finally finding the shop and the shirt and eventually got the last train back to Pohang (my first train ride.)

My ticket to Hyeung.  It was only 2,000 W so it should have been a fairly
short trip.  "Should have been" are the key words here.
Notice the newly painted nails!

Clearly it was an interesting day full of wasted time and aggravation but I did it.  All by myself.  Plus, Dad will finally get the shirt that he has been asking for during the past 10 months.  It'll all be worth it to see his eyes light up when I see him open up that present and have him proudly show off  his new Daegu Harley Davidson shirt.  I sure hope I got the size right.  Wouldn't that just be the icing on that crap cupcake of a day if it didn't fit him.

Sunday

I woke up with um...women problems.  Unfortunately, I had to go to a lunch at the house of a student with my coteacher Heather.  We arrive to find a spread of delicious traditional Korean food complete with my favorite side dish, kimchi!  I end up having ridiculous cramps and ask the Mom (we named her Kelly due to our goal of using all of the names from the Saved By The Bell cast) to take me home at her convenience.  She motions the "why?" question and I motion at my stomach and she finally gets it.  She runs out of the room only to come back with an entire bag of pads (big sizeuh she says), female medicine and ANOTHER bag of pads (small sizeuh she says.)  She begins to put blankets on the couch to make me a bed so I can rest. She eventually gets the drift that I need to go home and she prepares a huge bag of sweet potatoes, muffins, medicine and enough pads for the entirety of the female population of Pohang.

Kelly has been deemed our Korean mother and she has filled the role quite nicely.  She feeds us.  No, she literally feeds us. Like snatches up food with chopsticks, says "AHH" and shovels it into our mouths.  She brings us breakfast to school.  She kisses us goodbye and tells us to have a good day.   Everyone always says that you find your Korean Mom when you get to Korea.  It only took me 10 months but I finally found her.  And while she is a good option for a Mom while i'm here, there is no replacing the real thing waiting for me in America.

Nope. There isn't anyone who could replace my 미국 엄마  (America Mommy)

2 comments:

  1. AWWW I love the Korean Mom story! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watch your language young lady! I'll bet I can still take you over my knee and wash your mouth with soap.

    What do you mean wanna be biker? I am a biker, only when you were born, I gave it up. Just havn't got around to getting a new one yet.

    ReplyDelete