Sunday, December 5, 2010

Favorite Christmas Songs

This post is dedicated to my love of Christmas songs.  Here are a few of my favorite songs (in no particular order) and the reason behind each.  Feel free to download them (legally of course) and help me celebrate Christmas as loud as humanly possible.


#1.  Christmas in Killarney- Bing Crosby
#2. White Christmas- Bing Crosby

It's Bing Crosby.  That's reason enough.


#3. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer- Gene Aulty


Gene Aulty did the song for the original, "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer."  This was one of my favorite movies as a child and remains one to this day.  Listening to this song reminds me of being at home with my family, making cookies and signing along.




#4.  Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas- Glen Campbell

I grew up in a very country-inspired household.  This particular song was on one of our holiday cds and it was always a Christmas favorite.


#5.  Pretty Paper- Willie Nelson

Another favorite for the Comers.  This song specifically reminds me of my Dad.  He loves Willie Nelson and some of my favorite Christmas memories are of him singing along to this song, amongst many others.  My Dad has such a great voice and listening to him sing, hum or whistle along to Christmas music always reminds me that Christmas can't be too far away.


#6.  All I Want for Christmas is You-Mariah Carey

For the past 5 years this song has been a favorite of mine.  Why only 5 years?  It is all due to one of my best collegiate friends, Joe Thomas.  I love this song (too much I know) and every Christmas since we became friends (back in 2004) I would sing this song (loudly and quite off key) to him in person, on the phone, on his voicemail and any other media I could think of.  It was our Christmas tradition and one that will be kept this year, even though I am 7,000 miles away.  Get ready Joe, this year I found the "extra festive" version.  It's gonna be special.


#7. Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree: Brenda Lee

Who doesn't think of this song at Christmas?!  Home Alone is one of my favorite Christmas movies and has a soundtrack that puts a big Christmas smile on even the scroogiest person out there.  This song always reminds me of Christmas and how thankful I am for my family.  Thank you Brenda Lee for rockin' around that Christmas tree.

#8. Wizards in Winter- Trans Siberian Orchestra

This song has specific meaning to me and my family.  We went to see them in concert last year and absolutely HATED the performance.  The music was amazing but then they added weird rock music, creepy story tellers in the middle and some chick that refused to stop headbanging throughout the entire show.  It didn't help that we were in nosebleed section and literally felt like we were going to fall out of our seats, plummet to our deaths and crush the fans who had created a makeshift mosh pit.  While I continue to love the music, I will forever remember my family and our inability to last through the entire show.


#9. Christmas in Dixie- Alabama

This is another song that reminds me of my Dad.  I still can't really listen to it without getting choked up.  Alabama has such a fantastic country feel to it and it reminds me of all of the songs we listened to growing up.  


For me, Christmas just isn't Christmas without music.  

4 comments:

  1. To all of you that read the comments. No Jenn's family is not deaf so there was no signing on these songs. LOL HAHAHA This blog made me cry Jenn. I wish you were home with us and not 7000 miles away. Love you Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha whoops! I guess I need to spell check a little bit more before I publish these. Please don't cry Momma. I'll be home before you know it. Love you. Mean it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post... I've been listening to all of these songs since the middle of November... I'm glad someone else appreciates Christmas songs as much as I do. Love you Jenn.

    Ang

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its Gene Autry by the way, not AULTY. I was shocked to see about the trans siberian orchestra, but then I saw why you had it on there and it made sense. I'm with Mom, its gonna be sad not having you here for Christmas! Wish you were home and I love you!

    ReplyDelete