Sunday, January 30, 2011

Koreanism, Weekends, Plates

#156.  Most Korean homes have a separate refrigerator specifically for kimchi.  While kimchi is one of my favorite side dishes, it is also one of the most potent.  Even with kimchi in the "odor locking" containers, the pugnant smell somehow permeates into the refrigerator giving that carton of milk a decidedly kimchi taste.  There's nothing I loathe more than eating a bowl of cereal that has a little kick of kimchi.  I love my kimchi but kimchi in my milk is a bit much.

#157. Here in Korea it is extremely rare to have dressing rooms in clothing stores.  Here, everyone should know exactly how something will look on them and either buy it or put it back.  Not for me.  I need that dressing room to do the squats in that expensive pair of jeans to make sure they fit right.  I need to make sure tops fit correctly.  Swimsuits are as figure flattering as possible.  No dressing rooms?  No thank you.  I am not a cookie cutter size and do not possess a photographic memory. 

#158. Korea and snow.  More specifically, snow removal.  In Pohang, snow is a rarity.  Let me clarify.  This past January was the first snowfall that was more than a dusting in more than 50 years.  Due to this, the city was clueless on how to react to all the white, mushy stuff.  The citizens of Pohang did their best to remove the snow but instead of buying the standard shovels to take care of sidewalks or streets, they used pieces of card board or dustpans.  Yes.  Cardboard and dustpans.

#159. Hot weather.  Rainy weather.  Snowy weather.  Get out the umbrellas!  While the foreigners were happily romping around while the snow was coming down, the Koreans didn't seem to share our enthusiasm.  Bundled up in layers with an umbrella shielding their perfectly coiffed hair was how they enjoyed the beautiful white snowfall.  Oh Korea....


During the past 48 hours I accomplished hardly any of the goals I had set out for myself.  I had originally planned to have everything packed up for the return trip to "Amurica" by Sunday evening.  Well, it's Sunday evening and my apartment is in much the same state as it was on Friday evening: destroyed.

Instead of staying in and meticiulously packing for home, I decided to go out and experience my last weekend with some amazing people.  A decision I do not regret.  Friday night was spent in a DVD Bang with two of my favorite people, Alissa and Pat.  Saturday included alot of napping and the farewell party for my favorite bar in Pohang, Tilt Bar and Grill.  They are moving locations and will be open again at a bigger and better location near the beach sometime in February.  Sunday was spent much the same way as Saturday, alot of napping.

Dinner before TILT with one of my favorite people, Gayle

Even though my weekend lacked in the structure or productivity department, one goal WAS achieved.  I finally found the plate for my mother.  She has been asking, the request growing a bit more impatiently in the succeeding months, for a Korean plate to proudly display.  While I don't exactly understand why this was so important, who I am to question my mother.  My tired self, along with one of my best girls Virginia, spent the better part of an afternoon finding the perfect plate. Not too big.  Not too small.  Koreanesque looking.  Sheesh.  Eventually the blessed thing was found so now the next challenge is to get it through 3 airports in 3 different countries and 19 hours of continuous flight in one piece.   We shall see how that adventure unfolds.

In a few days I will be home.  Correction, in almost exactly 3 days from this moment I will be home.

Woah, shit just got real.  America here I come.   

2 comments:

  1. can not wait and i promise no kimchi in the fridge

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're flying through San Fransisco you'll be happy to know the domestic and international terminals are connected.

    ReplyDelete