Saturday, May 15, 2010

Koreanisms

[I apologize for my lack of posting.  Enjoy the Korean-isms]

#90.  In Korea it is illegal to find out the sex of a baby before it is born.  In the 80's babies were aborted because they were girls and now the guy/girl ratio is ridiculously off balanace.  In America there is the occasional baby shower where they want to be surprised so all of the gifts are gender neutral.  Lots of yellows.  Greens.  Reds.  In Korea every single baby shower is that way. Must be a bitch to plan.  Point America.

#91.  Contrary to popular belief not all Korean men are tiny.  Walking in downtown Korea there are men of all heights.  Most are very thin and usually as tall or taller than me.  Before coming here I refered to Korea as "the land of the tiny."  Whoops. Sorry Korea.

#92.  The cabbies here will sometimes give you treats during the ride.  A cold coffee.  Rice cake.  Hard candy.  It is accepted and enjoyed without wondering what drug it is laced with.

#93.  Teacher's Appreciation Day.  Every year there is this day where the teachers get treated like royalty.  Our students give us gifts like flowers, wine, candy and chocolates.  That's right.  I teach you English, you give me gifts.  Fair exchange.

#94.  Koreans do NOT practice the art of body grooming.  In America it is widely known that women and men trim/shave/wax certain parts of their bodies.  The lower region of their body if you get my drift.  In Korea this is just not the case.  In Korea they go au natural.

It's been a while since my last post.  Obviously.  Life at the good old Kids College is still as delightful as ever.  My babies are learning more and more English everyday.  I am making more friends as each day passes as well. I have been here for almost 3 months and am finally getting into a rythm that I enjoy. 

I've got a full week of school, soccer and who knows what else.  We have a long weekend coming up for big Buddah's Birthday so this will be a short week.  Only 4 days with the itty bitties instead of 5.  Off to Seoul on Thursday night until Sunday afternoon for some MUCH needed time out of the 'hang.  More to come on that later.

This was a spastic post.  Sorry followers.  The next will melt faces.

3 comments:

  1. So, I want to know what happened with the hissy fit cat fight!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly how did you find out about the art of body grooming on Koreans? Just curious. Not alot of excitement here since this morning when I talked to you. Oh by the way I might be going into Indianapolis this evening. It sure doesn't sound anything like going to Seoul for the weekend. Oh well again I have to live through you. Little bit of humor love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can't believe you didn't give america a point for #94, i'll give us one for you!

    ReplyDelete