Monday, May 10, 2010

Catfights in Korea

[Today I witnessed my first girl fight as an adult.  It needs documentation]

I am teaching my afternoon kinders the alphabet.  Today was teaching them the letter Jj.  Big J.  Little j.  I am just getting into how to make the dot when out of the corner of my eye I see a commotion in the hallway.  I look out just in time to see my supervisor get slapped in the face by my female director.  I'm talking the kind of opened handed, stinging slap that leaves a mark. 

Then the lunging, hair pulling and screaming begins.  In the middle of the school.  In full view of my 3 terrified Korean children.  Within hearing range of the rest of our afternoon kids.  They lock themselves in the office and continue to brawl.  They are tossing eachother against the glass walls.  Breaking pots.  Smashing glass.  The rest of the Korean helpers are banging on the door trying to get them to stop.  Yelling at the top of their lungs for it to stop. At least I hope it was telling them to stop and not egging them on.  Well they didn't listen.  The fighting continued.  For the next 20 minutes.

My poor little kinders are confused.  I have two boys and one girl.  Moses, John and Linda.  The boys are unfased.  They are coloring and putting together a puzzle.  Not my poor Linda.  She starts to cry, covers her ears and starts rocking back and forth.  She's scarred for life.  

What the hell Koreans.  What could have possibly been so important to start an all out brawl in the middle of our school.  As entertaining as it was it was ridiculous.  We do not fight in front of the itty bitties.  We do not throw tantrums.  We are supposed to be the ones teaching the bitties how to be big girls and boys.  Not how to be whiny girls who throw punches and lock themselves in  a room. 

Unfortunately I was not able to find out the root of the extreme anger that fueled my first Korean fight.  Tomorrow's early morning staff meeting should prove to be quite interesting.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Jenn. My IPS kids got nothing on your school. Stay Safe:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wish you would learn their language so we knew what they were fighting about!! that is CRAZY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I bet some heads are gonna roll at the next meeting. I agree with Ang. Stay Safe:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, let 'em go and get it out of their system.

    ReplyDelete