Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving in Korea

[I have decided against writing specifically what I am thankful for this year.  Instead of writing that super-detailed list that will almost certainly leave out someone incredibly important, I am going to simply say, "I am thankful." I am thankful for everyone and everything that has impacted me in a positive way during the past almost 10 months.  Thank you.]

This past weekend marked my first (and hopefully only) Thanksgiving away from home.  While the multiple Thanksgiving parties (four to be exact) did help take my mind off of my family, it did help me realize that being away from home is not what I want to do for the Thanksgivings to come.  Thankfully I was able to do a big skype call with my extended family.  It helped me feel connected and as if I were a part of the celebration even though I was 7,000 miles away.  Now you may be wondering why in the world I would do four Thanksgivings.  My answer?  Why the hell not.

My parties included the actual Thanksgiving at my favorite bar, TILT Bar and Grill, where a Thanksgiving meal was prepared with as many of the western trimmings as could be found.  This included (amongst other deliciousness) two huge pumpkin pies and a large and in charge turkey.  Yum yum yum.  Number two was at my school.  They had each parent prepare something to share.  Included were all the Korean favorites with a few western dishes (buffalo wings) thrown in.  맛있다!  (Delicious!)  The next was a potluck at a good friend's house.  Not as many western food were present but it was just as delicious.  Included in the decadency was an apple cake (thanks Frank), guacamole dip (Anna rocks) and bulgogi  (Ryan the host) to name just a few.  The final Thanksgiving (my waistline couldn't handle any more food) was at the American Marine base.  A few of my good friends are in the military and it gave us an excuse for another meal (like any of us needed it) and celebrating what we are thankful for.


Clearly I had a pretty good Thanksgiving.  I had good friends, good food and didn't have to be on a boat headed for Japan after an attack from our friends to the North.  Success.

Korean Thanksgiving complete with salad, kimbap, dok boki,
chicken, glutinous rice cakes, sticky rice and yellow curry. 

Amazing apple cake

Anthony annihilating a hamburger kabab

Matt being ingenious making a "brownie pancake"

A military Thanksgiving

With one of my best friends, Jen

1 comment:

  1. yum, yum, yum! Love me some Kimbap! I bet there was no green bean casserole? I am sure it was interesting to see what the families prepared.

    ReplyDelete