Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Weather Whining

#141.  Here in Korea, teachers are not called "Miss" or "Mr."  There is no formality with using last names.  The kids call us (name) Teacher.  I am "Jenn Teacher."  Now while some teachers here hate being called (name) Teacher,  I not so secretly like it.  Okay, I think it's adorable and I love it.  I hate being called Miss. Comer.  It makes me feel like the lady with glasses and wiry gray hair that can't get married off and who wears bright dollar store pink lipstick and rocks a snaggle tooth.  Yes, that is specific but it's what I think of.  No thank you.  Jenn Teacher works just fine.

#142. Here Taxi drivers assume that because I am a foreigner I can't understand Korean when negotiating fares.  No, I will not pay 15,000 Won for a trip that should have been 7,000.  I can read the meter and (shockingly) I can pronounce it in Korean.  No thank you.  I can understand a majority of what you say so quit taking the long way to my desired destination, charge me the correct fare and give back the proper change.  Please and thank you good sirs.

#143.  You can leave your money/bags/purses/wallets/cameras/etc ANYWHERE.  While I don't suggest that you do this often, it is nice to have the option to not have to worry about items being stolen. This is quite the switch from going to the bars or any establishment at home where an eagle eye is on your purse and drink at all times.  Here, it is very common to leave any belongings on the table and leave it without a second glance.  Theft is rare and is unfortunately usually due to other foreigners.

So over the weekend my well-worn Ball State jacket (you know the one) was finally retired.   This jacket got me through the majority of college and my first 8 months in Korea.  I'm frankly shocked to pieces it lasted as long as it did.  I was going to put off a new coat purchase for a few weeks but good old Mother Nature had other ideas.  She decided to completely screw with the weather and throw fall/winter into hyperdrive and force me out to buy a new jacket (which I love but is beside the point).  Yes, I am well aware that it is almost November but Korea doesn't like to ease people into the seasons.  Two weeks ago, I was in shorts and t-shirts.  Last week I was in jeans and a t-shirt.  This week I am in jeans, sweaters (yes plural) and scarves.

Oh, and yes I realize that because it is almost November I should have anticipated the coldness.  I did anticipate it but that doesn't mean I have to like it.  Or not whine about it.

Hence the whining.

1 comment:

  1. You need to make a little sign in Korean telling them not to F with you because you understand the lingo and are not putting up with their BS. Ok a little much I guess just give the look and I'm sure they will get the picture Love you

    ReplyDelete