Friday, October 22, 2010

Police and Pohang's Biggest Loser

#139.  Koreans and their obsession with photos.  First off, in pictures most Koreans don't smile.  They more often than not just look a little annoyed or like they would rather be anywhere than where they are.  They also take pictures in rapid succession.  One after another...after another...after another.  The quality of the pictures ranges from camera phone quality to the huge telescoping lens that you see on professional photographers.

#140.  The police in Korea are nothing like those in any part of the world I have been to.  Normally when the police are called to a bar fight in the states, they will question those involved, ascertain what damages have been done and then arrest or detain those responsible. Not in Korea.  Here is a prime example.  Last night at a local bar downtown there was a bar fight.  Not just a casual punch but an all out brawl complete with the throwing of billiard balls and glass pitchers.  Punches were thrown, the cops were called...case closed.  Or at least in America it would be.  Here, the cops brought the offending guys outside (where they proceeded to attempt to pummel the cops) and had them hold hands for twenty seconds.  They hugged them and let them go.  Only in Korea. 

So, on a unrelated note...here in Korea we have started our own little version of "Biggest Loser."  There are 4 primary ladies who are determined to get our workout on and lose some poundage.  We try and work out 4-5x a week and mix it up with circuit training every Tuesday night.  We motivate eachother with new recipes, words of encouragement and our monthly ladies nights where we get to get dolled up and paint the town with our newfound skinnyness.

Before I came to Korea I had lost 30lbs and was well on the way to my goal weight/size.  I gained a bit when getting here but have since gotten back to that weight (sans the 30lbs) and then a bit more!  My primary goal is just to get healthy but doing it with my girls and having the motivation is sure helping.  Since our start date of 10/11 I have lost 2kg.  Now for all of you non-kg minded people that is a little more than 4 pounds.  Whoo hoo you may say, she lost 4lbs.  Let's throw her a party.  Not so much.  I am simply saying that by just changing a few parts of my daily life I am getting back into the swing of a healthier lifestyle.

Sure having a vacation on the beach is a good motivator.  Being seen in a bathing suit is usually incentive for anyone to get back on the fitness train.  Another incentive is being able to shop in real clothing stores in February that will actually carry clothes I can fit into and aren't bedazzled with glitter kittens or grammar that can make you cringe.

It's on.

5 comments:

  1. you"re right only in Korea. I'm so glad that you are happy with what you are doing. Its even better that you want to do it and not somebody saying you need to. I'm proud of you and all the things you have done wish I was 30 years younger. No no I don't cause I still wouldn't be going to Korea. Love you long time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell ya what, if I was in a bar fight and was beating up or getting beat up, I'll be damned if I'd give the sucker a hug and be on my way, not by a damn site.

    Don't worry about your lost weight, I found it! It came home in your last package and is stuck to my stomach. It's not lost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure the barely there Korean women help nothing...they made me feel like a giant!!! Awesome job to you on working out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter and her boyfriend flew to Seoul from San Fransisco and arrived Monday. They emailed us and made us aware that they arrived safely and were planning to take a train the next morning to Pohang to teach English at the SLP school for children. In her email from Seoul she said she would contact us the next day (Tuesday). We have not heard from them by either phone nor computer.
    The letter of Agreement was sent by: Megan Bruce
    do you know who she is and if so how do we contact her? Thank you......a worried parent

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Worried Parent

    I am not who your daughter is or what school she is exactly going with but here is Megan Bruce's contract information.

    megan.bruce@gmail.com

    Also please don't be worried. When new teachers come to Korea there are times when the internet is not hooked up completely or it takes a few days to find an internet cafe, etc.

    Tell me your daughter's name and I will try and ask around. I am on holiday in Thailand right but can send an e-mail if you like.

    Hope all is well

    ReplyDelete