Monday, October 18, 2010

Eat. Pray. Love.

I recently watched "Eat. Pray. Love."  It is based off of a book by Elizabeth Gilbert.  If you haven't read it...read it now.  Stop reading, go to the nearest Barnes & Noble and buy it.   If you haven't read it then head to the theater and watch the on screen version.  It doesn't matter if you are a girl or guy.  Young or old.  It speaks to anyone with an open mind.  The book (and movie) show her life when she traveled around the world after a failed marriage.  It shows how a broken person becomes whole.  How travel, food, religion and love can transform a shell of a person into a better version of who they once were.  I like to think that I am like her in that way.  That we are alike in our zeal for life and desire to collect new experiences and people.  

Here are few quotes from the book that specifically speak to me.  They inspire me on how to live my life, treat those I love and most importantly how to learn to be happy with yourself.  

Inspiring.




"I have my own set of survival techniques. I am patient. I know how to pack light. But my one might travel talent is that I can make friends with anybody. I can make friends with the dead. If there isn’t anyone else around to talk to, I could probably make friends with a four-foot-tall pile of sheetrock. That is why I’m not afraid to travel to the most remote places in the world, not if there are human beings there to meet. People asked me before I left, “do you have friends [there]?’ and I would just shake my head no, thinking to myself, But I will." 

"Having a baby is like getting a tattoo on your face. You really need to be certain it's what you want before you commit." 

If you are brave enough to leave behind everything familiar and comforting (which can be anything from your house to your bitter old resentments) and set out on a truth-seeking journey (either externally or internally), and if you are truly willing to regard everything that happens to you on that journey as a clue, and if you accept everyone you meet along the way as a teacher, and if you are well prepared-most of all-to face (and forgive) some very difficult realities about yourself...then truth will not be withheld from you."

No comments:

Post a Comment