Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Guryompo Sulipalooza Weekend

[Pictures courtesy of Nadia Hugo]

The last weekend of August meant the annual Lisa White/Susi Gong birthday bash weekend (also known as Sulipalooza Weekend) at Guryompo beach.  Lisa White is one of my closest ladies here and it was only natural that I spend the weekend with her and 40 of my closest friends.  Yes, I know I said 40 of my closest friends but here it's true.  Just like in Cheers, everyone DOES know your name.  We were even joined by Nick Kelly, the friend of mine who recently returned to Korea after spending two months at home.  We all spent the better part of the day swimming, drinking and catching up on the happenings of eachothers lives that don't include little children or school scheduling.

After a day of swimming, we built a huge fire (we all know I don't build fires so I cheered enthusiastically from the sidelines) and proceeded to have a true beach experience complete with guitar playing, hot dogs and smores.  Yes, I said smores. It's weird the random things that just cannot be found in the majority of Korea without going to a Costco or bribing a buddy from the Marines to get from the military base.  Graham crackers is just one of the many, many things that are largely unavailable to us here in Pohang.  Marshmallows?  Yes.  Chocolate?  Of course.  Graham crackers?  Not a chance.  Frank McGirk, who had the foresight to bring graham crackers back from the states, allowed us to partake in the American classic.

Thank you Frank for that little taste of home.

The combination of the smores, sun, amazing weather, friends and fun made this weekend one that will be hard to top next year.

The band of Pohang:  "Jack Russell Terrier"

Where we stayed most of the night

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had an awesome time. I'm glad you have made friends but then I had no doubt of that with you.

    ReplyDelete