Monday, September 13, 2010

Chuseok, Minbaks and Cincinnati Chili

#131.  In Korea there are bed and breakfast-esque set-ups called "minbaks."  They are usually found in rural areas and islands and those who frequent them know to  expect traditional Korean blankets and a heated floor in place of a bed.  Not the most comfortable accommodations but the low prices make it enticing for tourists or people looking for a cheap place to crash.

#132.  September brings the Korean version of Thanksgiving known as Chuseok ( 추석 ) .  It is a major harvest festival and lasts for three days.  All of Korea has the holiday off and generally travel to their ancestral hometowns and share a fest of traditional Korean food.

This past week was a good week.  Busy with school.  Busy with friends.  A new string of teachers coming.  Even more leaving.  My kids seem to understand more and more English.  My school is finally starting to become something I almost look forward to each day.  Notice I said almost.  My life is finally fitting together.  Finally.

This weekend was much like any other weekend in Pohang with the exception of dinner on Saturday night.  Now what could be so special about a dinner you may ask?  Well if you have been deprived of certain familiar favorites for 7 months and then all of a sudden they were on your plate, it would prove to put a smile on your face as well.  Saturday night was a potluck dinner of sorts at the house of Sara Adisi, one of my favorite ladies in Pohang.  She made us Cincinnati chili (think Skyline Chili) complete with onions and real shredded cheese.  Now I say "real" shredded cheese because there is shitty imitation cheese that shouldn't be allowed to be processed and make the foreigners who miss real cheese long for the cheesyness that is cheese. I don't think I've ever talked so much about cheese in my life.  And yes, I know it's just cheese.  Ok, i'm done with the cheese talking.  Coupled with our amazing chili was a tuna casserole type dish, ramen salad (dry ramen, lettuce, veggies, sauce), fresh baguettes with balsamaic vinegarette and cheesecake for dessert.  One of the best meals I have had since arriving in Pohang.

Sunday once again was my lazy day.  Hanging out around downtown and catching up on my blogging or e-mails, pictures on facebook and getting my plan together for the week.  I'm all about having the occasional "Sunday Funday" but for the most part, my Sundays are for relaxing.  It's my time for myself.  Time to see people I don't get to see.  Enjoy some coffee.  Have a sandwich.  Have something familiar to tide me through the week.

This paticular upcoming week is filled with crazy amounts of work.   Thankfully I only have 6 more days of teaching and then I have almost a full week off for Chuseok.  6 days of no teaching.  No kids.  Some friends are headed to China.  Some to Thailand.  Some to Phillippenes.  I unfortunately spent far too much money over summer holiday so a big vacation wasn't feasible for me.  A large group of us decided instead to take advantage of the beautiful weather and explore Korea.  On September 20th, we will be headed to an island off of Seoul for a few days with 20 or so people in tents or minbaks.  Getting out of Pohang for a few days.  Get some perspective on our jobs, life, friends, etc.

Saying I am looking forward to this is an understatement to the extreme.  I've got a feeling this week will crawl by.  Let's hope i'm wrong. 

2 comments:

  1. CANNOT wait to see your trip...Seoul??? Have you been to Jeju yet...I am hoping we go in the next two years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have an exciting mini vacation planned. The little darlins really enjoyed seeing you yesterday. We had to get the globe down again and see where you lived and all decided it was definately along way away but not like the beach because we could still see you. LOL Love

    ReplyDelete