Thursday, January 14, 2010

It's all who you know

Song of the moment: "All Will Be Well" - The Gabe Dixon Band
Person shoutout: Happy 21st birthday little sister :)

The past three days have been a big circle of crap. I've been trying to get a criminal background check done for Korea and the process is ridiculous. I originally was told to do a local criminal background check. Ok. Did it. THEN they tell me "oh wait. You need a STATEWIDE criminal check...and it needs to be done immediately." Super. I call the number, set the appointment and am told i'll have it the next day when I go to the appointment. Surprise surprise. They lied. I'm told i'll have to wait 4-10 business days to get it. That doesn't work for me.

I go home all upset and try and figure out what to do. While i'm figuring out what to do my mom calls around to friends to see if they know anyone who can speed up the process. Apparently Senator Lawson is a friend of a friend of the family (thank God for Kim Armstrong) Who knew. I call and plead my case and am assured everything will be ready for me to pick up the following morning at 9am. Finally something is going my way. Or so i think.

BUT once again. Liar liar pants on fire. I get to the statehouse, wait for an hour and am then told that they have no idea who I am or what i'm there for. Not a damn clue. I start crying and the big guy who is in charge of it all tells me he will do what he can do. He tells me my paperwork was lost or buried or who knows what. He apologizes and tells me to come back in an hour. I do. It's done. He's sorry. The end.

I pay my $32 parking garage bill and am on my way out of Indy.

Long story short? It's all in who you know. It's also all in how you ask and how pathetic you can look when you cry. Apparently i top the charts in pathetic.

One step closer to Korea. Next step is the interview at the consulate in Chicago.

Keep reading for that gem of an update.

No comments:

Post a Comment