Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Mr.Miagi and the Karate Kid

Song of the moment: "Haven't Met You Yet" - Michael Buble
Person shoutout: Thank you Chilis kids for making my last week one to remember.

Quick recap since the last update: I drove to Chicago for my final Visa interview. Yes I got lost (shocking I know) and yes I got the finger (more than once) but the big thing was that I did it all by myself. I drove the 4 hours there and 4 hours back for a 20 minute interview. Clearly it was totally necessary. When I was finally called in for the interview, imagine my surprise to have the interviewer be Mr.Miagi from the Karate Kid. Okay maybe he wasn't the ACTUAL Mr.Miagi but he was the spitting image. He didn't speak very much English and during the interview asked me to describe myself and to tell him where I was from. I told him "I am a very outgoing girl who is from Indiana." He heard, "I am a little spunky cowgirl." Oh those Koreans. Apparantly he likes spunky cowgirls because he approved my Visa. Solid.

My trip to Korea is finally set in motion. I have my plane ticket. I have my apartment waiting for me in Pohang. I have my students waiting for me in their classrooms. I have the little bit of Korean language that I know repeating itself over and over again in my head. I'm prepared for the move...but i'm not ready to leave. Not yet.

I am finally getting things packed and ready. My apartment is filled with boxes and filled with lists of things I need. It doesn't seem real. Sometimes it doesn't hit me that in a few short weeks I will be moving to the other side of the world where there is not a single person that I know around me. I knew it would be tough to say goodbye when I left but I think I underestimated just how tough it would be. I thrive off of my friends and family and I know to not have them near me will be the toughest part for me.

Well there's no turning back now. The plans are in motion for me to go and hopefully have the experience of a lifetime. Hopefully this blog can explain the ridiculous journey i'm about to undertake. I hope i'm not as crazy as people say I am for going around the world to teach English to children I don't know and can't understand without an interpreter. I guess i'll know in a few weeks if they are right. I hope they're wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment