Monday, July 5, 2010

Fukuoka, Japan

[In the past week I have watched two of my closest friends get on buses and go home to their respective countries.  To Jen and Kyle:  JSD will not be the same without you.  Thank you for making my first 4 months in Korea something I will always remember]

#113.  It is extremely rare for someone to have a child out of wedlock.  If a pregnancy does occur the child will more than likely be aborted or "deleted" as my Korean co-teacher said.  Simple keystroke on the computer.  Make an unwanted child go away.  Delete.

#114.  Continuing on the abortion theme, abortions are common in Korea.  Really common.  50% of all pregnancies end up in abortion.  Surprising  for a country that professes to be all Jesus-centric.
  
#115.  Dill pickles are ridiculously difficult to find.  It is the sweet pickles that seem to be the favorite of the Korean population.  Damn.  Point America.

Life in Pohang has been relatively quiet over the past week.  People keep leaving to go home to their respective countires.  New people keep coming.  Go to work.  Come home.  Blah blah blah.  The one exciting thing that has happened is that I finally booked my vacation destination for my summer holiday.

Myself and three other girls have decided on Fukuoka, Japan.  The flight is cheap.  Tons to see.  Relatively inexpensive if done wisely.  Our current list of things to do is as follows

1.  Go scuba diving
2.  Visit Hiroshima or Nagasaki (This could prove to be difficult considering that the anniversary of the atomic bomb is the week following our visit.  We have been told that the Japanese love Americans EXCEPT during the time around this particular holiday.  With good reason.  I guess we didn't think this all the way through.)
3.  Kyoto night bus tour
4.  Visit the various temples and shrines around the city

The list will continue to grow i'm sure but this is what we are interested in at the moment.  I am looking forward to a week of no students, no obnoxious Marines thinking they are God's gift to women and no worrying.  In less than 3 weeks I will be out of Pohang and experiencing Japan.

Let's hope these three weeks fly by...

4 comments:

  1. Are you turning into a world traveler? Where to next? God, I envy you. Do you need someone to carry your bags? Think about it.

    Love ya,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope don't wanna go with, Dad can. You gotta remember when I left South Dakota and moved to Bettendorf Iowa I thought I was going to the other side of the world. Nope not for me. Glad I can see it through you . Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. So jealous of you... You are going to have a great time. Love you mean it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so proud of you for grabbing this awesome experience and making the most of it. Be Safe!

    ReplyDelete