Monday, June 28, 2010

World Cup Disappointments

[Two of my best friends in Korea are leaving this week to go back to their respective homes.  Jen will go back to Canada.  Kyle will go back to Chicago.  I know it's part of the job to make friends only for them to leave but just didn't realize I would lose so many so quickly.]

#111.  Koreans follow you around clothing stores.  Whenever you walk into a clothing store (this pertains to other stores as well but specifically clothing) the workers of the store follow you.  In close proximity.  Now I don't know if they are just making sure you know that their clothes won't fit your non-Korean body or just to make you feel uncomfortable but I've got a tip for you Korean-clothing-store-followers.  If you follow me around I will leave without purchasing anything.  Give me some space.  Let me browse and I may give you some of my hard earned Kids College money.

#112.  Koreans are not afraid to be brutally honest.  If they haven't seen you in awhile and you've lost weight they will comment.  If you've gained weight they will comment.  They don't do it to be rude or to offend you.  To them it's just stating the facts.  In America people talk behind your back about how much weight you've gained or about how that haircut makes your ass look big.  Not sure which one I would rather have.

Well the World Cup fever is slowly filtering out of Korea.  South Korea lost to Uruguay.  USA lost to Ghana.   England lost to Germany.  The majority of the people who had teams they were rooting for are now either trying to find a team to cheer for or have thrown in the towel.  There are still many teams left that are worth rooting for but some of the magic for me is gone.  There is something about cheering for your home country while in another country that makes you feel a little extra patriotic.  I still stand by my newfound respect for soccer and will continue to watch the World Cup but I think the days of me staying up until 7am to watch a game are over.  It was fun while it lasted for both my teams.

As a Cubs fan I am the master of saying "There is always next year."  In this case there is always the next World Cup.  In 2014.  Clearly I have the time to improve my soccer knowledge.

Outside with a diehard Korea fan 

The kids of Pohang with our new Korean friends

Koreans love to throw out the peace sign

Some of the ladies of Pohang

Cheesing it up with my co-worker Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment