Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Let's Make a Deal

[It is June.  I have been here for more than 3 months.  In a few weeks the majority of my close friends I have made here will go back to their respective homelands and will return to their former lives.  Or at least a semblance of what it was.  I will remain here for the next 9+ months and continue on my travels in Korea.  It's bittersweet.  Kind of like bittersweet chocolate chips.  On one hand it is a chocolate chip so it can't be all bad but it's just not the same as the deliciousness that is a true chocolate chip]

#98.  In America when you are admitted into a hospital you stay in the said hospital.  Sometimes there are portions of the hospital that have the sole purpose of allowing you to go "outside" while still remaining in the confines of the hospital. Sometimes not.  Korean hospitals either do not have these portions or the patients choose not to utilize them.  It is very common to see patients out in front of the hospital (while still in their hospital pajamas) smoking cigarettes and walking around.  Point America.

#99.  DVD Bongs.  In Korea this is a room you can rent to watch a movie.  Most have pull out couches and really big tvs.  Basically these places are for the younger crowds to go for those more intimate moments that can't happen at home.  You know what I mean.  Think Barry White's classic hit "Let's Get It On."

So this past week I played "Let's Make a Deal" with my school and came out on top.  My director revealed my new schedule for next term and hell about froze over.  I currently work 9:30-6:20 with ONE 50 minute break and 10 minute breaks in between my classes.  With no prep period.  They wanted to add yet another class to my schedule and have me stay until 7:30 with no break. Hell freaking no. 

After seeing my supremely angry face he realized he needed to pony up the big bucks or he was going to lose me.  I negotiated him down to 9:30-12:10, long lunch, 2-5:30, prep period, 6:20-7:20.  O and a hefty bonus added on to each paycheck.  Well well I can successfully negotiate a contract. 

I'm a big girl now.

No comments:

Post a Comment