Monday, May 23, 2011

Busan: Matt's Last Weekend

[To Matt Slansky:  Thank you for all of the good times, great talks and memories that will last forever.  As I have told you before, there are some people who find their best friends in college or in other parts of their lives.  I was lucky enough to find mine in South Korea.  Be safe in America my friend and know that we will meet again soon enough.  Enjoy all things American for me and have fun in college.]

Here in Pohang, we are lucky enough to be in an ideal location.  Pohang has plenty of beaches only a short ride or walk away.  It is close to most of the "hot spot" touristy cities and just a 2 hour bus ride away from some of the more Western friendly cities in Korea.

Last weekend I was lucky enough to spend with a great group of people.  For the majority of my time in Korea I have stayed close to the teachers crowd.  Lately, I have been spending time with a small group of Marines in Pohang and have gotten to experience an entirely different experience.  We went to Busan (another coastal city about 2 hours south) for a goodbye extravaganza for my good buddy, Matt Slansky. After almost 2 years in Korea he is finally on his way back to America and it was only fitting for him to be sent off in style.

We spent the majority of our time eating Mexican food, getting our fill of the beach and partaking in our fair share of adult beverages.  It was by far one of my favorite weekends since arriving in Korea all those months ago.

We had the bright idea to jump in the elevator.  Not
our best decision.  The elevator broke and we were stranded
for an hour listening to an angry man screaming over the
loud speaker.  Lesson learned.   Do not jump in elevators!


Outside of TGI Fridays.  Yum!

Enjoying some time at the Haeundae Beach 


The boys at the Busan aquarium

A crazy guy who actually goes into the tank and feeds sharks.

Quite the gang.  From left to right:  Shivvers, Dan, Matt, Korean guy,
Leighton, Megan, me, Korean guy

No comments:

Post a Comment